You may have heard the saying that “If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.” While I am not entirely sure that saying is true, loving what you do DOES make the work go by faster, or at the very least, you will enjoy it more. How do I know that? Because it’s true for all of us at Freemind Seattle. We truly do love what we do!
In honor of the month dedicated to L-O-V-E itself, and to remind ourselves of all the incredible things we get to experience on the job, we are sharing what we love most about what we do. Like all good teams, we all have different specialties and interests. One person’s stress is another person’s joy. This month is all about love, so we decided to share what we love about event planning and working as a team!
Let’s start with Melissa Bathum, Freemind Seattle‘s owner and our fearless leader:
- It’s the unknown that I love most about events. The idea that each day brings a new fun idea, challenge, or obstacle. That each client wants to try something new, something that’s never been tried before, something that may be totally out-there, and we get to come up with a crazy solution that attendees will talk about for days.
- I love that events are the front lines of a business. Truly, events are the only marketing platform where the company has the opportunity to speak face to face with their consumers in real time.
- Events are a moment in time, an effort that is managed for weeks, days, months, even years and then is over in just a few days. It allows the company to really test the limits and see what they can do to fight through the “noise” of reaching potential customers in cool and unusual ways.
- Events are exciting, and it’s awesome to be a part of something that’s built from the ground up each and every time. It’s the world I live in and I can’t wait to see what’s next!
Kori Monson, Freemind Seattle‘s partner has a few other ‘loves’ to add to the list:
- I love the look on attendees faces when they first step onto the tradeshow floor- the anticipation of getting through the doors for the first time and the eyes sparkling with excitement. They are almost childlike, looking around for the first place to go – kind of reminds me of Disneyland when you first walk through the castle.
- One of my favorite moments is when the voice over the intercom says the event is opening in 15 minutes, then 10 minutes, then “the doors are open”. The hustle of making sure that everyone is in their right spot for all attendees, that all demos are working, all aisles are clear for when they start pouring in.
- The beginning of every event is special- it could be the same event over and over again but no events are ever the same. You always strive for something better, something more innovative and exciting. The strategy and planning that goes into every event is special and is always attendee first- what will grab their attention, how will they ingest the information, and what will they do with that information after the event is long gone.
As for myself, (Victoria here!) here is just a few of the things I love about what I get to do with Freemind Seattle:
- I am a people person! I love meeting new people and helping them with their projects. From our clients to laborers on site and attendees, everyone is fascinating! I make new friends and connections constantly.
- Learning new skills with new technology. There are new processes and software coming out every day in our field, I love getting to see all those and getting hands-on training for tasks that are new to me.
- Traveling is something that I have always enjoyed and never felt like I got to do enough of. But with Freemind Seattle, I have traveled coast to coast and I can’t wait for the next adventure!
- And of course…my team. I love late nights in the hotel with the team; junk food and a bottle of wine (or a few LaCroix) is the best medicine after a long day! I wouldn’t dream of trading in an extra hour or two of sleep for those moments.
With all the stress that usually comes with event planning, never forget that there is plenty of love to go around in the event world! Some people may call us crazy for what we do and how hard we work in order to put together fantastic events for our clients, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.
If you are in the event and marketing world, tell us what you love about it! Even if you aren’t in the sphere of event planning, tell us what you do and why you love it. It’s the month of love, so let’s share it!
-Victoria Blasich is the Marketing Manager of Events for Freemind Seattle. She joined Freemind Seattle in 2018 with years of experience in marketing strategies, fashion-focused events and photoshoots for both small and large companies. With a passion for people and supporting fellow creatives, Victoria is driven to create and execute stellar events for clients.